For Poison Prevention Month, we wanted to let you know of a few household chemicals that might that can hurt your pet that you may not be aware of. Here are a few to keep in mind:
- Repellents. Sometimes we think that products made for animals are automatically safe for animals. However, some over-the-counter flea and tick preventives could be toxic to your furry pal. If you have questions on preventative medicine and why your furry friend might need it, you can read more here.
- Meds. Have a headache? You can take a Tylenol, but be careful to put it away after. If your pet accidentally gets into some of your human medication (including aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen), you could be facing a serious pet health emergency. Other human medicines to keep away from pets include cold medicines, antidepressants, vitamins, diet pills, and drugs that fight cancer.
- Cooking spray. If you have a pet bird, beware of the fumes from non-stick cooking surfaces and self-cleaning ovens. While they’ll keep things cleaner for you, they can be deadly to your feathered friend.
We also encourage you to watch out for poisonous plants, toys with small parts, rawhide chews, and human foods (examples: chocolate, artificial sweeteners, chicken bones, alcohol, onions, grapes). If you have more questions about what to look out for, make sure to ask us at your next appointment!
In the meantime, if you suspect your pet has gotten into something she shouldn’t have, call our office immediately. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline 24/7 at (855) 764-7661.